Sudanese Nationals Can Extend Their Stay in Canada: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Announces Special Measures

In light of the ongoing violence in Sudan and concerns for the safety of its citizens, Canada is taking steps to support Sudanese nationals in Canada who may not wish to return home at this time. The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced special measures to help protect the Sudanese population already in Canada.

As of April 30, 2023, Sudanese nationals in Canada can apply to extend their stay or change their status as a visitor, student, or temporary worker free of charge. This includes free open work permits, giving them access to the labour market and greater flexibility to support themselves while they are in Canada.

The Canadian government is waiving the requirement to hold a passport or travel document to be approved for a permanent resident visa to come to Canada for those permanent residence applicants outside Canada who may not have access to their Sudanese travel documents.

These measures complement the fee waivers for passports and travel documents for Canadians and permanent residents of Canada in Sudan, and the prioritization of completed applications already in the system for temporary and permanent residence from people in Sudan for when it is safe to travel.

IRCC has deployed additional officers to the region to help those already on the ground with immigration-related operations. The Canada Border Services Agency has issued a temporary halt on removals to Sudan.

“The Canadian government continues to call for an end to violence in Sudan and stands with the Sudanese people as they strive for peace,” said Minister Fraser. “Many Sudanese nationals currently in Canada can’t return home due to the dangerous and volatile situation in their home country. That’s why we’re taking steps to help them extend their stay here, so they can remain with their families, continue with their studies or find work in safety.”

Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and family members who want to leave Sudan can contact Global Affairs Canada’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre.

For more information on these special measures, visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website.

Leave A Comment

Adblock Detected

We strive to provide you with quality content for free. Please consider disabling your ad blocker to support our website. Your help means the world to us. Thank you for your support!

Refresh Page
error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: